QualityMall.org - Complete Product Information
Use the FILE menu on your web browser to print this information or save it to
Close or minimize this window to continue using QualityMall.org.
American Association on Health and Disability
The American Association on Health and Disability (ADHD) is a national organization that develops and disseminates information about health issues as they affect people with disabilities. It also plays an advocacy role on behalf of people with people with disabilities in national policy discussions related to healthcare policy. The mission and vision of ADHD explain its purpose and activities:
“….to contribute to national, state, and local efforts to prevent additional health complications in people with disabilities, and to identify effective intervention strategies to reduce the incidence of secondary conditions and the health disparities between people with disabilities and the general population. AAHD accomplishes its mission through research, education and advocacy.”
"AAHD is dedicated to the advancement of theory, knowledge and practice in the prevention of secondary disabling conditions and promotion of health and wellness for people with disabilities."
- Professional and public education
- Advocacy efforts, and
- Expansion of public awareness on issues related to the prevention of impairments and disabilities.
AAHD's Primary Activities:
- Publishing the “Disability and Health Journal,”(Home page: www.disabilityandhealthjnl.com)
- Maintaining the Health Promotion Resource Center, an extensive web-based database with information on a myriad of topics related to healthcare and people with disabilities.
- Publishing "Health and Disability News," a quarterly email newsletter
- Playing a vital role in the development of United States disability policy, such as sponsoring a national conference to create a set of key objectives for Healthy People 2010.
- Advocating for people with disabilities in national discussions by providing information to members of Congress, federal agencies, state health departments, health care providers, universities and consumers on the importance of reducing health disparities between people with disabilities and the general population
AAHD's Future Plans:
- Establish a national clearinghouse for ideas, information and resources
- Create an intramural and extramural program of research and development
- Develop a newsletter for consumers and professionals
- Maintain a program of workshops and conferences in order to disseminate new and emerging information about the prevention of additional health complications and health promotion and wellness initiatives for persons with disabilities.
Information gathered on 3/22/2010 from the ADHD website (www.aahd.us/page.php?pname=about), and its 2008 Annual Report (www.aahd.us/site/static/pdfs/annual/annualreport2008.pdf)
|Organization:||American Association on Health and Disability|
110 N. Washington Street
Rockville,, MD 20850
| || |
| || |
Home page for American Association on Health and Disability
Health Promotion Resource Center
This information was found at www.qualitymall.org