QualityMall.org - Complete Product Information
Use the FILE menu on your web browser to print this information or save it to
Close or minimize this window to continue using QualityMall.org.
A Guidebook on Consumer Controlled Housing
This guidebook for consumers and their families covers many areas of consumers controlling their own homes and living situations through ownership or rental. This guidebook was produced with input from consumers and families and addresses topics that go beyond the business aspects of housing. Click on the "Web Links" tab above to download the entire 114-page booklet as a PDF.
Although written with a focus on Minnesota, it topics have broad relevance. These topics include:
- why people should control their own homes
- making the right housing choices
- to own or rent
- lifestyle and housing planning
- housemate compatibility
- housing structures
- nonconventional approaches that support community
- choosing a rental home
- the Fair Housing Act
- getting agency support
- informal support
- home modifications and equipment
- guardianship vs. conservatorship
- financial planning for long-term security
- creative housing approaches in different places
- where to get help
- worksheets are provided for self-study of income and expenses, home accessibility, housing choice, home inspection, choosing a service provider, etc.
This guidebook was developed by Arc Minnesota and the University of Minnesota's Research and Training Center on Community Living/Institute on Community Integration, with assistance from ReliaStar Financial Corp and Minnesota's HomeChoice program. Its authors view the guidebook as a way to help people think through the many personal, financial and programmatic considerations that go into housing decisions of people with developmental disabilities and their families. Its authors welcome its public use for training and dissemination with attribution appreciated.
View/download the Guidebook as a PDF
This information was found at www.qualitymall.org